Her's - Invitation to Her's Album Review



Her's - Invitation to Her's

Harry Mcilroy

9/10

Genre - Jangle Pop, Alternative Rock, Future Funk

Her's were an English indie rock band from Liverpool, England, composed of Stephen Fitzpatrick on vocals and guitar, and Audun Laading on bass guitar and backing vocals. Now, that “were” is something I didn't pay much attention to when I was first recommended this band. I brushed over it, thinking they probably broke up, and went on with my listen to Her’s debut album, 2019s An Introduction to Her’s for the first time. 

On my very first listen, I knew that I had found something special. On my initial listens to an album I try not to analyze or look into it too hard, aiming to mainly feel what tone the album is going for, and if they hit that tone. And even initially, I found this record to pop really hard. I was looking forward to diving into it further, and to hear what else this band had to offer. But then, tragedy struck me on my little walk through the Pulford countryside.

I'm currently attempting to review a new album every day, a challenge issued to me by my good friend Emilia. This was the first album she recommended, and I went into it blind. After really enjoying the record I messaged her, to gush about how much I was into it. She proceeded to state how much she missed them, which slowly turned on a light bulb above my head. This was the duo that tragically passed away in a car crash last year! My heart actually dropped somewhat. Thanks a lot, Emilia.

In all seriousness though, this gut-punch gave me a completely new perspective on the music. It now had a lot more contextual depth, something I always appreciate. It became their swan song, an unintended love letter to late teens longing through the lens of beautifully constructed dreamy & romantic pop.

    Let me just take a quick aside to explain my thoughts on pop music. From when I was about 13 years old, I've always been the typical pop hater. “It has no depth” I naively cried. “All pop is just 11 writers and 37 producers trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator!” I would wrongly declare. But recently, likely through simple growing up, I’ve come to understand that I had a fundamental misunderstanding of what pop music was. Pop music and music on the charts are not the same thing. Pop music is simply music that pops. The Oxford dictionary describes pop as music “usually with a strong rhythm and simple tunes”. The Beatles are pop, Lana Del Rey is pop, and Her’s is pop. So I hereby apologise to everyone I have looked down on for liking this too often misunderstood genre. I’ve been a pop fan all along, and I just didn't know it.


Back to the review. If I could describe this album in a mood, it would be “dancing around your bedroom with tears in your eyes”. It's such a wonderful mix of melancholy and sanguine, all wrapped up in some of the best and most slick pop production I've ever heard. It’s a very rare album in which I’ll be exclaiming out loud to myself at how well constructed it is, and at the same time awkwardly dance-walking in the street. ‘Invitation' at times sounds like Ariel Pink, other times Mac Demarco, occasionally TV Girl, but what Her’s does particularly well is incorporate these influences into something at times familiar yet very new and relevant sounding. The 45 minutes of material fly by, with each track sounding almost quintessentially cinematic, at least on a small scale. You could imagine almost every one of these songs soundtracking a quaint romantic indie movie, probably starring Micheal Cera. Many of the songs are similarly structured, usually going with an intro, verse, pre chorus, chorus, verse, bridge, chorus, verse, outro. As most pop music does. But the beauty of Her’s lies in the variation they inject into this structure. I'm not usually a fan of comparison, but this record really does remind me of a poppier Ariel Pink. The ability to master any mood they attempt is truly inspiring. I would also like to mention the flow of the project, as it’s impeccable. 

It begins with a few stellar high energy cuts, though they are no less emotive than the slower tracks. The first of these, a personal highlight of mine (though they’re all highlights really) is the opener, Harvey. This is as good as pop openers get really, and very much establish the vibe Her’s is going for. Its beautiful acoustic opening quickly turns into a melancholic rager with the introduction of a drum machine and increased tempo. It's so simple yet so effective. So many details shine through, and the way the band explodes into the anthemic chorus contains an energy I very rarely come across. It really does pop.

The lyrical concept of this track is also something I really appreciate, and is something that extends to the entire album. The title and lyrics are in reference to a 1950s film about a man who’s best friend is an invisible rabbit called Harvey. This may sound pretty esoteric and random, but what Her’s does is write these lyrics in such a way that it’s vague enough to put any personal situation onto. 


“Harvey

Nobody knows what I see

Everyone thinks I'm crazy

Crazy for you, oh boy”


With context, these lyrics are obviously in reference to the 1950s film. But even so, they are vague enough where it makes perfect sense to view it in an interpersonal context. This is really smart lyric writing with a depth that really impresses me.

Another early high energy highlight is If You Know What's Right. This one brings you right into the energy. I love how this album isn’t weighed down with long introductory passages. They have their places in music, of course, but this album is all about momentum. The bass, synth flourishes and drum lines all come together ridiculously smoothly. Then, just when you’re getting into the groove, the chorus suddenly hits. This chorus, honestly. It's catchiness reaches miraculous levels. I’ve yet to hear it without feeling an uncontainable urge to move, that being if I'm sitting at my laptop writing this very review, or walking around the cold British countryside at 2am. It transcends lyrics, genre, the band itself. Honestly one of the most danceable and catchy choruses i’ve ever heard.

And if that wasn’t enough, the lyrics are really great as well! Honestly, they’re just showing off at this point. As a 19 year old Gen-Z individual right on the cusp of university, jobs, real life, this tracks themes of taking it slow and remembering to not grow up too fast really resonate.

As it progresses, it’s clear that the album's pace has been laboured over. The slower tracks never outstay their welcome, and the faster tracks never sacrifice emotion. It all culminates into a 45 minute experience with practically zero missteps.  With the slower songs, a more pensive Her’s begins to show their vulnerable side. Blue lips, another highlight, is a prime example of this. It begins with a perfect and minimal establishing guitar line, before effortlessly adding in instrumentation piece by piece. Restrained drums, a smooth bass line and some wonderful vocal passages all culminating into the beautiful and classy chorus. It hits with a timeless and classic sounding melody, occasionally veering into Beach Boys territory. This is a whole record of beautifully constructed build ups breaking into choruses that cover an impressive range of emotion and tones. This song is why I love music.

The lyrical content of this track depicts unreciprocated romantic feelings, and relationships that have run their course, featuring characters who are unaware of this imminent end. The song's omniscient narrator refers to both perspectives, leading to the track having a complete conceptual fullness and heaviness. Who among us has not had love gone unrequited?

Now onto the final highlight, and the final track. Under Wraps serves as a beautiful and poignant closer, to both the album and the band itself. It ends the album on a sort of cautious optimism, both instrumentally and conceptually. The dejected yet relatable vocal delivery rides across the technically simple yet immensely emotive revered drenched guitar/drum passages. This is the sort of effortless simplicity that impresses me as much as, if not more so, any overly flashy or busy instrumentation. The ability to turn something as oversaturated as ‘guitar and drums with occasional synths’ into an emotional powerhouse really exemplifies how exceptional this band was. The extra detail and flourishes at the end of the pre-choruses are something special.

The track really does epitomize the record's entire tone. I can really imagine myself listening to this, late at night, when life is getting too hectic, and revelling in the devastating yet optimistic atmosphere. That's how I feel with most of these songs. Their applicable song concepts, their effortlessly engrossing and beautiful production, the reserved yet impeccable instrumental palette, And although this band did reach a tragic end and one could only imagine what Her’s would be doing now, the music is beautiful enough to transcend its retrospective significance. It truly is a record worth gushing over. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Claire Atheron - Background - Track Review

Clipping. - live for no one during a global pandemic Live Album Review

Alias & Doseone - Less is Orchestra Album Review